We love a good bath mat, or a few. We relish the way they’re soft under our feet. We like the way they keep our toes warm. Really, the bathmat is an underrated star. It can bring a pop of color and/or a fun texture.
Bath mats can cover up that unsightly floor stair where you spilled your nail polish remover all those years ago or your kiddo got overly excited with a permanent marker. Plus, in the grand scheme of things, bath mats are a pretty inexpensive bathroom feature that can easily be installed or replaced.
The kicker is, you want your bathmat to stay in one place, not slide all over. Not only is a bath mat that slides annoying, it can make your bathroom look messy. Plus, a bath mat that slips can be safety hazard.
One of the reasons many of us put bath mats in the bathroom to begin with is to make the floor less slippery. A bath mat that slides completely defeats the purpose!
Luckily, you can keep your bath mat from sliding this way or that for next to nothing! Simply affix a Velcro strip to the underside of your bath mat and to your bathroom floor. It’s that simple!
Well….maybe it’s not that simple. Here are a few tips to make your Velcro bath mat hack a success.
- Start by picking up a pack of self-adhesive Velcro. This is the easiest and most time-efficient option.
- Make sure your floor and your bath mat are clean and dry. If they aren’t, the Velcro will not adhere as well, making it more likely your bath mat will eventually start slipping again.
- Peel and stick the softer side of the Velcro to the corners of your bath mat. You want to keep the other, scratchy side of the Velcro attached. This will make it easier to place the bath mat.
- Arrange the bath mat where you want it. Be sure that’s where you want it. It might be that you wait a day or two to completely determine the placement, as it’s much easier to place the bath mat the first time.
- Carefully peel the pieces off the back of the scratchy side of the bath mat and place your bath mat on the floor. Press firmly along the Velcro to ensure the sticky parts attach to the floor.
That’s it! Easy peasy and very affordable!