At some point you’ll probably encounter mold. It may be in the form of yucky black gunk in the corner of a shower. You might see it as white spots on a cardboard box in a damp basement. Mold can be pink and growing along the inside rim of your toilet or sink.
Really, the places you can find mold in a home are endless. It can grow on fabric, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, and wood. You can find it on food, in your ventilation system, and in your attic.
Generally, a small amount of mold won’t make a healthy person sick. But, if you don’t get rid of mold before it gets out of hand, it can quickly spread through your home — ruining valuables and making you very sick.
we’ve all seen that yucky black gunk in the corner of the shower or the powdery white spots on cardboard boxes in a damp basement.
5 Simple Ways to Prevent Mold
The good news is, it’s possible to prevent mold.
- Dehumidifier. Mold needs moisture to grow. A dehumidifier helps reduce the buildup of moisture in your home by anywhere from 30-50%. This helps reduce the chance of mold growing, especially in areas like your bedroom which aren’t commonly humid.
- Be Smart with Storage. Some materials are more susceptible to mold than others, like linens, books, and furniture. If you have a basement or attic that’s known for getting damp, don’t store these susceptible items in the. What if that’s the only place to put such items? Make sure to store them in well-sealed plastic containers.
- Run Your Bathroom Fan. Simply turning on your bathroom fan before each shower can help substantially cut down on mold. Showers tend to be hot and steamy. Mold loves that steam. Help vent as much of it from your home as quickly as possible to see the moisture level drop.
- Open the Bathroom Door. Keep the bathroom door open to encourage airflow and decrease humidity. This is especially important after you shower, to allow the moisture to escape.
- Seal Grout. Do you have tile in your bathroom? You might have it in the shower, on your vanity countertop, as a backsplash to your vanity or on the floor. Anywhere you have tile, you want to make sure it’s well sealed to stop mold from growing in the small cracks and groves.
Get Rid of Mold When You Find It
Is prevention no longer an option? Have you found mold and you need to get rid of it? As we said from the beginning, chances are you’ll encounter mold at some point. It’s not career-ending and it’s possible to get rid of mold. The following four cleaning supplies are generally considered the most effective at getting rid of mold:
- Clorox Bleach
- Rubber Gloves
- Lysol Disinfectant Spray
- All-Purpose Scrub Brush
3 Common Places You’ll Find Mold & How to Remove It
The following are the three most common places you’ll find mold and simple ways to remove it before it gets out of hand.
The shower curtain is a constant culprit of household mold. This is thanks to the high moisture levels in the shower, dark nature of the shower, and general tendency to leave the still-wet shower curtain pushed to the side.
At some point you’ll likely just want to replace your shower curtain altogether. In the grand scheme of bathrooms, this is one of the most affordable updates. And, it’s a great excuse to add a new look and feel to your bathroom.
But before you just ditch your curtain, you may be able to run it through the washing machine and extend its lifespan. Just be sure that post-wash you hang it wide open to dry, so no mildew begins growing again.
When you’re cleaning grout, you’ll want to wear gloves. You may also want to wear eye protection. Mix ½ cup bleach with 1 gallon of water. Using your stiff brush, scrub your grout working in small patches until you’ve cleaned the entire surface. Let the bleach mixture sit for at least five minutes. Then scrub and rinse it clean.
When it comes to mold in fabric, no item is immune. This includes towels, gym clothes and bedding. If there is so much mold that you can see the spores, take it outside and remove the visible mold. Allow it to dry in the sun completely. Soak the item in detergent for at least one hour. Then wash it on high heat, to kill all the spores and thoroughly clean it.